LIFE RETHINKWASTE Focus Group Workshop
Last Wednesday, December 1, the mid-term intra-comparison focus group workshop of LIFE RethinkWaste took place at Can Ginestar in Sant Just Desvern. Sant Just City Council is a partner in the European project and was in charge of organizing the work sessions with the aim of sharing the results obtained so far in the implementation of different KAYT and PAYT strategies in the participating municipalities.
During the morning, the results of Bassano del Grappa (Veneto), Varese (Lombardy), Bitetto (Puglia) and Sant Just Desvern (Catalonia) were presented. In Catalonia, Sant Just Desvern is pioneer in the implementation of KAYT (#coneixelquellences) but 3 municipalities have already begun their strategies using the tools developed in the framework of the project (i.e. Santa Eulàlia de Ronçana, Cardedeu and El Brull, which were also present at the workshop).
The workshop was also attended by external experts who were able to delve into the PAYT and KAYT models. Thank you very much Ignasi Puig (ENT), Prof. Bucciol (University of Verona) and Prof. Quercia (University of Verona) for your contributions.
In the afternoon, a “Zero Waste Café” was held to bring together the most relevant issues of the implemented models, as well as discuss challenges and opportunities. A very valuable work that will serve to face the next stages of the project and capitalize all developed tools in more than 200 European cities (task that will carry out the supramunicipal and regional entities linked to the project: ARC, ACR +, IFEL, ARPAV and ATA) .
The next day the consortium meeting took place. The progress of the project and the planning of future actions were analysed. The year 2022 will also be an intense year where all the work done will be valued.
You can see the full seminar program here.
You can download the presentations of the workshop:
- Bassano del Grappa case study (Ernestina Bagatella, Etra Spa)
- Varese case study (Michele Giavini, Ars ambiente srl)
- Bitetto case study (Fiorenza Pascazio, Mayor of Bitetto)
- Sant Just Desvern case study (Montse Aulinas, Barcelona Regional)
- Baseline intra-comparison (David Font, LCA 2.0)
- How PAYT can contribute to improve waste separate collection (Ignasi Puig, ENT)
- The impact of policies on waste sorting and waste accumulation (Prof. Alessandro Bucciol, University of Verona)
- Harnessing the power of social norms to increase sustainable behaviour (Prof. Simone Quercia, University of Verona)
We leave you the link to the interview with Michele Giavini (Ars ambiente srl, project partner and promoter of the KAYT concept) in Radio Desvern’s LaJusta magazine.